As mums, if we don’t take care of ourselves, there is little chance of anybody else doing it for us!!
By nature it is mum’s job to nurture and protect her young, but in this day and age there is so much more going on too. We often seem to end up juggling our kids, our partner, our dogs, the goldfish & the neighbour’s cat(!) and this can very definitely take its toll on our health. If we don’t practice a little #selfcare along the way, we can end up making ourselves ill, or suffering from burnout.
WHAT TO DO ABOUT IT
Taking a little time out for YOU is so valuable in terms of “topping up” your own health – both mental and physical. It also provides a powerful message to our kids. We are all aware of giving positive examples to our kids by ensuring they see us eating well and/or keeping active, but do they see us taking care of our mental health too? If we can start putting small steps in place to do this ourselves, we will become role models for future generations. This can be the first move towards kids, tweens & teens creating their own toolbox for a positive outlook, and for true #connectivity (with their family and not with a screen), which is so very important as we watch statistics on youth mental health worsen daily…
MY TOP TIPS
- Get out in nature – enjoy being out in the open & walk, run or simply sit and breathe.
- Take a mindful shower or a bath and pop in a few drops of essential oils.
- Read a book.
- Find some calming music to Just Breathe, OR grab your fave dance track and SHAKE IT!
- Take 5 minutes to try out relaxation techniques – download my audio aid here.
- Go through your cupboards and/or your shopping list and make sure you have some positive Mood Food to hand for your daily snacks.
- Get creative! Create a masterpiece or simply doodle, get knitting or bake a cake!
- Grab a pen and start a journal – write down 3 things to be grateful for each day.
- Choose a task you do daily to practice mindfully – drinking your coffee, showering, taking a walk.
- Think about your sleep patterns: give value to the slot of time BEFORE you sleep and be sure to create an environment that is genuinely relaxing so you make the very most of this chance to truly relax & recharge.
The most important point in all of this of course is to carve out a little time to achieve this self care daily. It really does only take ten minutes a day, and the benefits are immeasurable – for you and for all those around you. So make the decision TODAY to give a little back to you…
As a mum I truly do know how overwhelming it can seem just to find those ten minutes a day. If you are struggling with this and feel you’d like a little more help in structuring this in and truly making it happen, grab my FREE DOWNLOAD here.